Fly Fishing Small Creeks in the Uinta Mountain Range, Utah
Posted on July 10 2014
Come mid summer in Utah, the main fly fishing rivers are quite crowded. Every vacationer visiting Utah seems to be fishing the middle Provo River this time of year. For us at the Ranks, this does not fit our style. We crave solitude, serenity, and all out adventure. The fear of the unknown is where we reside. This is lost next to all hordes of tourists blindly following their guides around the river (we are not against guides by any means, they do an awesome job of sharing the love of the sport and it's how we all learned the trade). The lost art of looking at maps is not forgotten within our crew. So we set out for the unknown.
Deep in the Uintas, we set out for a few small drainages that feed into one of our favorite rivers to fish. Following the sound of rushing water, the creek we were following hardly seemed big enough to hold fish. But in the mountains, there is no shortage of springs and other small creeks that continually feed into each other. It did not take long until our little creek was fish-able.
We found a few pockets that looked fishy. We stopped to rig up. Dan tied on a beetle and I tied on a yellow sally trailed by a foam ant. We instantly hooked up. Most people would never fish a stream that's so small. You could easily step over the stream, it was so narrow. None the less, it was full of feisty and hungry little Brook Trout. They may have lacked in size, but the fight they had and the colors of these little tikes was amazing.
It was ridiculous how many fish we hooked into. Both of us had about 50 plus, each. It was so much fun to have that kind of action on the fly. About 4 hours have passed and a thunderstorm started to loom. We were pretty deep in the backcountry so we decided to hike it out.
With the patter of light rain on our rain coats it felt good to get back to the trail head. A nice cold beer and stories of the day seemed a fitting end to the adventure. I am not going to share the exact location of where we were, it would take the adventure out of your own endeavor. So next time you go out, try pointing to a place on a map and go explore. Odds are, even if you get skunked, you won't be disappointed.
- Mtn Remedies: DIY Boot Dryer
- Lily Shreds top 7 pieces of gear for adventure dogs
- A Ski Town Christmas: 12 Ways to Make A Ski Shop Hate You During the Holidays
- Mtn Remedies: Turn Any Backpack into a Super Portable Cooler
- The Autumn Adventure Pt. 1: Rocktoberfest 2016
- Mtn Remedies: 6 Steps to Perfect Pocket Bacon
- Better Gear Storage: DIY Wall Mounted Mountain Bike Rack
- MtnRanks Outpost: River Rock Roasting Company
- MtnRanks Fanpage: Freeride for the People
- Top 5 Trail Bike Descents in Park City, Utah
- Drones in the Mountains: New AlpenHelo Demo Reel
- MtnRanks Trailside Bike Park Shred n BBQ
- Mt. Superior: 5 Tips For Your First Scramble Up South Ridge
- Mtn Remedies: DIY Fly Fishing Rod Holder
- Our People: Eric Bell at Ohio Dreams
- Mtn Remedies: The Slushy Beer.
- Deer Valley Trail Dig Day
- 3 Best Fly Fishing Packs for Photo Gear
- MtnRanks Shred 'N BBQ with Free MTB Shuttles
- Mountain Biking Tidal Wave Trail at Deer Valley
- The Top 5 Downhill Mountain Bike Trails in Park City, Utah
- MtnRanks Cookbook - Cast Iron Spinach and Artichoke dip
- Climbing in Kentucky: Rocktoberfest 2015
- Ocotocopter to the Rescue!
- MtnRanks Fanpage Whip Off 2015
- MtnRanks Mountain Clothing Fly Fishing Clip
- Fly Fishing Small Streams and Mountain Biking Wydaho
- Deer Valley Mountain Bike Park: Gravity Logic Gets their hands dirty.
- MtnRanks Shred N' BBQ and Gear Swap 2015
- Fly Fishing Uintas and other local areas, Down Days
- Great White Buffalo
- Trip Report Gooseberry Mesa, Utah
- MtnRanks Aerial Recon
- No Snow, Go Ride #MtnRanksMondays
- Aerial Octocopter Filming with Bus Life Adventure
- Just the Tips! Life 101 on women. Take Notes!
- MtnRanks Just the Tips: 10 Ways to Make Your Car More Core
- Fall Fly Fishing Tips for Utah and Wyoming
- Rocktoberfest 2014 Red River Gorge, Kentucky with MtnRanks
- MtnRanks Fanpage Whip Off and Best Line
- OTG Run 2014, with MtnRanks
- Mountain Biking Curt Gowdy State Park, WY
- Fly Fishing the Green River, Utah
- Defiant Whisky MtnRanks Collaboration
- Should Electric Bikes be permited on Sinlge Track Trails?
- Mountain biking in the Uinta Mountains
- MtnRanks Shred N' BBQ at Trailside bike park
- Mountain Biking Teton Pass with MtnRanks
- Fly Fishing Small Creeks in the Uinta Mountain Range, Utah
red river gorge